In our rapidly changing world, the humble curb is seeing a convergence of competing uses. From an increase in pick-ups and drop-offs to new ways to get around like shared bikes and scooters, curb space must be managed to ensure accessibility, safety, and circulation.
The curb is more than just vehicle storage or a path of travel: it is there to serve people. It’s a vital community space and one of the most extensive and valuable assets in a city. A good curb design promotes access and activity, drawing more customers for businesses.
Walker aligns public and private sector goals through tools including zoning, parking regulations, traffic engineering, and financing mechanisms. With active and intentional curb management, communities can offer more equitable access among different users, improve level of service for everyone, collect data on transportation behaviors, and create a sustainable revenue source.
Complete Curb Management Expertise
Walker’s curb management team can help you create plans, policies, and designs that bring order, enhance safety, support local business, and provide better access and mobility options.
- Collect data to understand existing curb inventory and current usage patterns, and model future demands
- Engage the community and businesses on mobility needs and curb prioritization
- Determine how underused parking lots, off-street loading zones, and garages can take pressure off of the curb
- Integrate pick-up and drop-off in design for existing and new parking facilities
- Evaluate how mobility trends and changing curb demands and allocation affect private vehicle parking availability and revenues
- Determine curb access fees, model pro forma financial impacts, and implement these fees
- Implement data collection, monitoring technology, and analytics to adapt policies based on trends, agreements, RFPs, and regulations
- Draft mobility operator/vendor agreements and regulations
- Design specifications for technology to monitor curb usage, optimize allocation, and enforce regulations
- Choose the right technology option for implementation