Forensics, Restoration, and Building Envelope
Walker has set industry standards and pioneered new methods for forensic investigation, building envelope, and restoration. Our experts will apply hands-on experience to provide solutions that extend the service life of your building or structure.
Whether for new construction or existing, Walker uses state-of-the-art strategies to offer recommendations that enable you to improve the long-term health and increase the value of your assets. Through our experience with new and existing construction, investigations, and assessments, we have encountered a wide range of design errors and construction mistakes and can help our clients avoid them. We can provide solutions for any kind of structure including: office and residential buildings, parking structures, bridges, tunnels, canals, offshore structures, utility plants, and more.
WHAT WE DO
Solutions for Structures
Walker has experts that are qualified by the New York City Department of Buildings to inspect your parking structure.
Property Condition Assessments
Walker Consultants provides Property Condition Assessments (PCA) and reports for a variety of clients. Aimed at building owners, developers, and investors who wish to gain an understanding of a facility’s condition prior to a potential real estate or financial transaction, the PCA outlines the overall condition of the facility, as well as the property’s general compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Our consultants evaluate the site conditions and in-place building systems, including the roof, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. Our report identifies any immediate or near-term remediation required and provides a range of probable repair costs. We note any deficiencies that may impede use by individuals with disabilities. We also project the cost to maintain the property over time, with a given reserve schedule.
PCAs are generally used during asset transactions such as equity, acquisition, disposition, debt level, re-finance, lease renewal, or existing condition assessment. Our reports are often used by clients during negotiations or financing. We are accustomed to completing our work within the compressed timeframe imposed by transactions.
Walker’s PCA team includes architects; structural, civil, mechanical/electrical/plumbing engineers; and accessibility consultants. We value our relationship with our clients and consider it a partnership. Our guiding principle is to provide value through exceptional quality of work and attention to detail.
Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems are important components of a building, and we can provide design and assessments of these systems to help clients assess aspects for maintenance and optimization. Walker can provide services to help with this which include but is not limited to the following:
- MEP Design and Construction Administration (CA)
- MEP Construction Observations
- MEP Forensics
- ASHRAE Level I, II, & III Energy Audits
- International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) Compliance Reports
- Architectural and MEP Commissioning (Cx) and Retro-Commissioning (RCx)
- LEED Consulting
- MEP Equipment Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Indoor Air Quality Testing and Assessments
- HVAC Consulting
- Mechanical Equipment Condition Assessment
- Building Energy Performance Assessment
- Vertical Transportation Evaluation and Consulting
- Fire/Life Safety System Evaluation and Consulting
- Plumbing System Evaluation and Consulting
- Ultrasonic Pipe Thickness Testing
Fall Protection and Façade Access Equipment
Walker Consultants performs OSHA compliance assessments, annual inspections, and load test certification of permanent fall protection and façade access equipment including davits, davit bases, and fall protection anchors.
We implement a practical approach to compliance verification by working as a partner with building owners to develop an inspection and testing program for existing equipment—or the design of new equipment—that satisfies the requirements of OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910 for Walking- Working Surface and Personal Protective Equipment Fall Protective Systems.
Walker can help you comply with the latest OSHA regulations for powered maintenance platforms—including permanent davit bases and portable davit arm assemblies— and fall protection anchors, including those used for rope descent systems (RDS).
For all owner-supplied equipment, this includes:
- An initial engineering load test certification program prior to service
- Periodic re-certification by load test as necessary, such as after major modification, or at 10-year maximum intervals if applicable
- Annual visual inspection
Industrial Rope Access
Industrial Rope Access is an access method which allows qualified engineers and architects at Walker to safely access and work at elevated or difficult-to-reach areas. Our industrial rope access program combines specialized training and equipment and project specific plans to safely accomplish project objectives by our staff trained by the Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians (SPRAT).
Walker uses industrial rope access to provide clients with cost-effective and efficient solutions for close-up and hands-on surveys without the added disruptions and expense associated with swing-stages, supported scaffolding, or aerial lifts. Elements of buildings and other structures surveyed by industrial rope access include exterior wall and sloped roof facades, vaulted interior spaces, and façades and structural framing of stadiums, monuments, bridges, spires and elevated water tank structures. Examples of services Walker performs with industrial rope access include:
- Safety inspections required by city façade ordinances
- Water intrusion and failure investigations
- Condition assessment for budgeting
- Pre-design survey for maintenance and repairs
- Non-destructive testing
Walker also designs and inspects façade access equipment, including rope access anchors.
Accessibility Consulting (ADA/FFHA/UFAS)
At Walker, we care about promoting a barrier-free environment for individuals with disabilities. Accessibility is important to us, not only because it helps disabled individuals, but it enables a property to thrive from more potential business. We have evaluated multifamily housing, commercial development, schools, medical facilities, and outdoor recreation facilities. We provide the client with a reliable and knowledgeable team who specialize in accessibility surveys and construction observations. Accessibility consulting services include:
- Conducting assessments of existing facilities to determine compliance with accessibility standards
- Peer review of architectural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and civil drawings to identify accessibility issues before construction
- Consulting during construction with designers and contractors in regards to ADAFHAA/UFAS compliance
- Conducting presentations on accessibility requirements and recommendations for the designated type of project
- Periodic inspections during construction to determine compliance with the project documents and ADA/FHAA/UFAS requirements